Electric Problem – switch warm to touch or sparks

20 10 2010

We frequently receive calls from homeowners for electrical problems which most people could remedy themselves. At Cooper Electric we do our best to walk our customers through these basic troubleshooting steps over the phone.

This eliminates any unnecessay expenses that would have resulted in sending an electrician out to their homes. Knowing these basic situations will help save you money.

Here are some common electrical problems and possible situations/solutions you should check before calling Cooper Electric:

Electrical Problem: A switch or outlet is warm to the touch, or “sparks”.

1. If sparks are seen when the switch is operated, what happens is, a small spark is generated anytime an electrical connection is made or broken while current is flowing. If the switch is not warm to the touch and is not loose, the small spark is probably normal.

2. Any device being plugged into an outlet, should always be in the “OFF” mode, before plugging in or unplugging the device.

CAUTION: Remember that each year in the United States, over 53,333 fires and 400 deaths will result from unsafely modified electrical installations.

Have a qualified electrical contractor do you work. Be safe.



Leave a comment